TRANSLATE

Thursday, July 23, 2015

How To Frame Your Crochet Art

I got to thinking about last weeks post and realized I didn't give a step by step "how-to" for framing your own work. So this week, with the help of my daughter Maeghan, we put together a quick guide for framing your work.

Step one:
Block the work that's going to be framed.
Blocking will allow the work to maintain it's shape.






I used a paper towel between the doily and the cardboard to keep it from leeching any of the ink off the box. You don't have to have expensive mats or special equipment for blocking. As you can see I used a cardboard box that we got from Sam's Club and some T-pins from Hobby Lobby. You can use regular sewing pins but they might rust, so I highly recommend getting the stainless steel. They were about $3 for 50 pins. If you don't have a cardboard box like this one, use the non-greasy side of a pizza box, a stack of 2 or 3 towels, or a kids' foam play-mat and you will get the same results.

Step 2:
Gather your supplies!

For this project you will need:

  • blocked doily
  • 12"x12" photo frame
  • fabric piece
  • scissors
  • ruler
  • pen/pencil - optional



Step 3:
Cut your fabric to size.

We used the back of the frame for sizing instead of trying to cut freehand.



Be sure to use the printed/solid parts of the fabric only! Notice the edge to the left has a line of white - you don't want that in your frame.

Step 4:
Clean the glass of your frame. 
It'd be pretty bad if you did all the work of framing then looked and saw a smudge. Uh-oh! So make sure to clean it before you start putting the parts together.



Step 5:
Measure!
Measure the doily against the frame to make sure you have it centered. Feel free to off-set and add embellishments if you want, but for this project we're centering our piece. You want to make sure that the work shows in the frame and isn't hidden behind the edge of it.




Step 6:
Place the cut-to-size piece of fabric on the frame, add the back and secure in place - Done!




Now your work is ready for display in your home or office. You can wrap it up and gift it to someone like a new bride or new home owner. It also makes a great gift for birthdays, Christmas, and all kinds of other holidays and occasions.

I hope this (and last week's post) encourage you to frame some of those works of art that you might have laying around the craft room.

Until next week,
Peace and blessings,
~~Karen~~

PS: I don't have a dedicated craft room ... I have a living room and a bedroom and a ... well, whatever room I happen to be working in is my craft room! I know many of you are right there with me =D



10 comments:

  1. I am so glad to see the instructions to frame doilies. My only question is "what is the type of frame that you used?" It looks like a poster frame. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if it's a "poster" frame but it's a 12"x12" frame and has glass instead of plastic. I bought it at Hobby Lobby (with a 40% off coupon I might add - lol).

      Delete
  2. "Secure in place" with what? Pins, thread.....?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Securing the back of the frame in place depends on your frame, mine had small tabs that slid back out of the way. Yours might be different.

      Delete
  3. Hello, thanks for your info. I crocheted a lace angel and I would like to frame it. I don't know what's the best way to do blocking, should I dip it in sugar water first before I pin it to the cardboard? Another question is do I need to glue it to the fabric to make sure it won't fall? Hoping for your prompt reply, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there!
      The blocking technique I used was simply with water and I think you'd find most "Blocking" how-to's will tell you to use plain warm water and pin the shape you want to make sure it holds in that position. As for the glue, I'm not sure if that's necessary as the pressure from the glass/plastic and the frame should keep the piece in place. If however you aren't using a frame that has a glass/plastic insert then you would have to use something to ensure it wouldn't move. My recommendation would be double sided sticky tape like the type used in scrapbooking. That tape will not yellow or become brittle over time.

      I hope that helps! Good luck with your project!
      ~~Karen

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this! I'll be making this for my sisters and nieces for mother's day. The follies are from my mother who crochet all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, you have a gift.for explaining.....thank you for the post. Karen B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I needed that bit of encouragement =)

      Delete